Self defense is important for everyone regardless of age or physical ability. Here are some affordable self defense weapons and strategies to help keep you safe. Use these to develop your best self defense strategies and become comfortable and confident using them.
Harbor Freight Key-Shaped Folding Knife ⟡ $2
FEGVE Portable Titanium Toothpick ⟡ $10
SABRE Self Defense Kit (Stun Gun and Pepper Spray Duo) ⟡ $20
Portable Additional Door Lock ⟡ $15
Smith & Wesson SWHRT9B 9in High Carbon S.S. Fixed Blade Knife ⟡ $20
MTech USA – Fixed Blade Knife ⟡ $6
Smith & Wesson Outdoor Tactical Pen ⟡ $28
Thopeb The Original Self Defense Siren ⟡ $20
The Original Emergency Keychain Car Escape Tool, 2-in-1 Seatbelt Cutter and Window Breaker ⟡ $10
Having weapons helps, but they're useless if you don't know how to use them. Watch tutorials for any weapons you acquire and develop strategies to help you prevent an attack before it even happens.
- Be aware. An attacker has a better chance of harming you when they are within 21 feet. Stay alert of people around you and always travel with purpose (head up, observant, carry yourself like you know where you're going even if you don't).
- Eye jabs. If you are assaulted in a close proximity, eye jabs can disable an attacker.
- Use your voice. Yell and get the attention of any people around you. Speak up about predatorial behavior happening to you (stalking, doxxing, threats of violence) and notify anyone who will listen.
- De-escalate. Predators will eagerly pick fights — do not succumb. If you are being robbed, your belongings are not more important than your life. Choose battles wisely.
- Look for exits/escapes. Wherever you are, it's a good idea to detect any entries or exits. Should you encounter a crisis, you'll know exactly where the road is.
- Supporting stance. Stand at an angle with your knees bent rather than facing the attacker straight on.
- Practice self defense moves at home. There are many free online resources for developing self defense strategies in various scenarios.